A Different Kind of Sparks

« Back to Home

3 Telltale Signs That Residential Electrical Repair Services Are Needed

Posted on

Some homeowners dismiss signs that they need residential electrical repairs. They assume that they have a minor issue that can wait. However, some electrical repairs should be considered emergencies because they can cause electrical fires. It is also possible for a neglected electrical system to damage appliances and electronics. 

Homeowners should get routine electrical inspections to ensure that their homes are safe. Wiring can get damaged and cause a number of issues that could be identified during inspections. Older homes may have outdated wiring that needs to get upgraded by residential electrical installers. The following points highlight a few things that homeowners might notice if they need electrical repairs.

Buzzing Noises

These noises may be heard near outlets or circuit breakers. They are inactive of a wiring issue or circuit overload. The wiring may get frayed over time. It is also possible for rodents to gnaw through wiring and damage it. A home could have overloaded circuits and need an upgrade to a new electrical panel. As technology advances, new electronics, and appliances require more electricity to operate. The increased demand means that outdated electrical panels cannot meet the demands.

Frequently Tripped Circuit Breakers or Blown Fuses

These are telltale signs that an electrical system is overloaded. An electrical upgrade can stop this from occurring. Homeowners who ignore this frustrating issue are putting themselves at risk for electrical fires and damage to electronics and appliances. The lifespan of these items is likely to be shortened or the performance may be subpar. The electrical repair for these issues is to get a larger breaker. Individuals who have fuse boxes should migrate to circuit panel boxes because fuses are a sign of an antiquated system. 

Outlet Issues

Outlets may need repairs if they are loose or show signs of damage. Melted outlets are a sign that overheating is occurring. This phenomenon can happen when there are loose ground wires. It should be treated as an emergency electrical repair because it can cause a fire. Outlets with this type of damage may also emit sparks when an item is unplugged. The sparks are usually yellow and a burnt odor may also be smelled. 

A residential electrical repair contractor is a good resource to use when there are changes in how an electrical system performs. They can inspect and determine what is causing the issue. They can also perform electrical installs to replace outdated wiring and electrical panels. 

Contact a residential electrical repair contractor for more info.