A Different Kind of Sparks

« Back to Home

3 Common Electrical Issues In Old Houses

Posted on

Any home can experience an electrical hitch. However, these issues are more prevalent in older homes because the wiring is aged and worn out. Because of that, it is advisable to be vigilant about electrical problems if you live in a house older than three decades. Here are a few issues you might find in such a house and ways a competent electrician can help you fix them.

The House Has Aluminum Wiring

Some of the houses built in the late sixties and early seventies have aluminum electrical wiring instead of the standard copper. This wiring works perfectly because the metal is an excellent conductor of electrical current. However, the metal is more volatile and more likely to cause electrical fires in the home than other alternatives. 

As such, many homeowners rush to rewire the system. But doing this can be pretty expensive. Besides, it is an extensive process, requiring building contractors to bring down walls and restore them after the rewiring. 

Instead of taking this tedious route, your electrician can recommend a cheaper and more practical solution. For instance, they can opt to fix a piece of copper to the end of every aluminum wire to enhance the overall safety of the connection. 

The Lights Dim and Flicker

Flickering and dimming lights is a prevalent problem in old houses. Typically, this happens due to the fact that the wiring is old and corroded. That means the connection between the bulb and its fixture has deteriorated, leading to an inconsistent current flow. 

The loose and corroded wires make an unstable connection, leading to overheating, sparks, and electrical fires. Thus, hiring an electrician to assess the bulb fixtures and change any corroded wiring is advisable. They will also tighten the loose connections to stop the flickering.

There Are Few Power Outlets

Unlike modern homes, old generation houses had fewer electrical appliances. Therefore, the electrical contractors installed fewer outlets in the room. So in such a home, you might realize that the outlets are not adequate for your needs. Naturally, you'll try to fix this problem with extension cords. However, extensions might not be effective as they overload the system at some point, creating a fire hazard. 

The only way to find a lasting solution is by seeking the assistance of a registered electrical contractor. They will assess the home's wiring and figure out ways to add outlets. They will also weigh the system's capacity against your voltage demands to decide whether to overhaul the electrical panel.

The best way to handle electrical issues in an old house is by consulting a competent electrician. They will help you restore all the damaged parts of the old circuits and improve the safety and efficiency of your home's power system.